Friday, February 15, 2019

Guiding a Branching Choice Story (part 5)


Don't get me wrong—I'm not railroading my players. Instead, I want them to feel like there is a larger objective and course they must take to achieve that objective while making decisions along the way that will aim towards it. Many of the choices in the game will reveal additional story or character development but won't affect the overall course. Other choices affect the player's reputation among his crew members. And some choices will be based on overcoming challenges, with a few options resulting in logical mistakes anyone could easily make in those situations. I do have several major tangents in SEVN that result from choices, and these tangents can result in more challenging circumstances. In most cases, I provide players with options that can still get them back towards their main objective, though survival often becomes a priority before the main storyline can be resumed. There are a few situations where a bad choice can result in death or a “game over” type failure, but...there's always that “Load Game” option if you want to try again...hopefully a little wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment