Monday, February 11, 2019

Guiding a Branching Choice Story (part 1)


I was thinking about interactive storytelling this weekend and how it is what I've been doing for many years of my life through GM'ing RPG game sessions. I didn't realize it until recently, but I'm almost doing the same thing as I write the story for the upcoming Solar Echoes Visual Novel (code name: “SEVN” or “Project 7”). The branching choices I'm providing to the player in this VN are much like the options table-top RPG players are presented with by their GM. Of course, the only limit to a table-top RPG is your imagination, and the limit to a VN is the writing and the programming. There are a lot of angles to consider when writing for this medium, but I'm finding that my experience running tabletop RPG's is really helpful towards guiding the story along. The true challenge lies in how player choices are handled...

No comments:

Post a Comment