Wednesday, October 10, 2018

RPG's and Visual Novels (part 3)


I started browsing articles and forums to see what VN gamers felt about combat in their games. Here are a few quotes from different gamers, which seem to represent most of the sentiment I found in response to the combat question: “I'll take it if it's not required,” “When I play a VN I want to read and make choices,” “Having a VN with long stretches of unskippable mediocre gameplay really can turn an otherwise great story into something I may not even finish.” I continued to look into this question, and turned it around to see how much story RPG gamers want in their games. Some RPG gamers are all about story—a few seemed even more zealous about the necessity of a good story than VN players! A few quotes: “I would prefer if a game has a strong story. Otherwise, I can't get invested,” “Story is key for me, without a story the game is absolute [sic] useless to me,” “I usually cant get into a game unless there is a good story to follow.” Yet there were also plenty of RPG gamers that didn't feel like story mattered at all: “Story means nothing to me as long as the game is good,” “A good story will never push me to play through a game.” And finally, a few felt like story helped the game's longevity, like this gamer: “Having a great story really adds to replay value.” So, there's quite a wide gamut of opinions among RPG players as to the importance of story, but among VN players, opinions seemed overwhelmingly focused on the importance of story over combat.

No comments:

Post a Comment