Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Shattering Expectations while Innovating (part 2)


One of the challenges of creating an innovative story is knowing what to keep and what to discard. Sometimes we get very attached to our ideas and lose perspective on what really belongs to the theme and what detracts from it. Make it a regular practice, while writing, to ask yourself if anything feels like it is tacked on or doesn't fit. We often try to make something fit when it doesn't. I remember, when working with another author, a spot where something he had put together bothered me because it felt extraneous. I talked to him about it, and he was resistant at first. After we talked about it a while, he finally decided it didn't fit and wasn't necessary. I distinctly remember him saying, “but I liked that part!” I've gone through the same thing with my own writing (and music composing) many times, and it really is hard to let go of something you've created. I always tell myself, though, that even if it doesn't fit and I have to put it aside, I can always go back to it later and develop it as something entirely separate. If it's good enough, it will flourish and grow on its own into something cohesive. And sometimes, over time, I'll admit to myself it wasn't as great as I initially thought it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment