Thursday, October 19, 2017

VR Report: Arizona Sunshine


I wasn't planning to get this game because: 1) I'm so sick of zombie games, 2) I'm tired of wave-shooters for VR, and 3) I grew up in Arizona and I hate the desert. Considering all that, I still liked this game, surprisingly. The reason I bought it was because I read that it has free movement, and I wanted to see if I could develop some “VR legs” in preparation for the free-roaming option in the upcoming Skyrim VR. Some VR games have made me sick because of the movement, so I've been worried I can't enjoy free-roaming VR. A lot of developers are opting for teleportation instead of free-roaming, but I really hate that choice and hope that it's only included as an option in VR games, not as a mandatory setting. Thankfully in Arizona Sunshine, you have both options, and I chose free-movement. I was happily surprised that it didn't bother me at all! I think the slower walking speed is what made a difference, because I did feel a little queasy after using the run buttons a few times. The way movement is handled in this game worked extremely well for me: when you press X on either move-controller, the direction you move that controller is the direction your character moves. For instance, if I want to strafe left, I can hold X on the controller and point my left hand to the left while aiming my gun with my right hand. To be honest, though, with so many zombies coming at me, I pointed behind me to step backwards a lot and eventually just turned around and ran, despite the slight VR nausea induced. Maybe it's because I have things on the “normal” difficulty setting, but this game should be called Arizona Sunshine: I Expect You to Die. More details tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment