Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Enhancing Old Missions


What exactly is new with the enhanced edition of the 3-year old mission, “The Seeds of Chaos?” For one thing, I've added in a lot of color. Originally, when Solar Echoes released in 2012, I was avoiding color as much as possible because I was working on printing the books (and color is more expensive.) Now that I'm focusing on digital sales, I've colorized each of the few art pieces in the mission, added in John Fell's cool new page borders, and this is the first mission featuring John's great new stat-block borders! Stat-blocks are the little colored blocks that include all the details for NPC's, vehicles, robots, alien lifeforms, and even the hacking grids. I used to highlight these areas in the missions with a grey background color, and more recently, I added a drop-shadow colored border. They didn't look bad, but I wanted something with more character. I've looked at a lot of other RPG game books and was surprised that everyone is doing essentially the same thing I was: different colored backgrounds but no artistic border. So, I contacted artist John Fell and talked with him about my idea—I wasn't sure it was even possible. He sent me a few rough ideas and I experimented with sizing, sending him images of what I was able to do and how much space I needed to make it work. He adjusted the sizes, left the interiors blank so I could add in whatever color background I was happiest with, and then began working on designing the art for each border type.


No comments:

Post a Comment