Thursday, September 14, 2017

Enhancing Old Missions (part 3)


Although updating format, colorizing, and adding in the new art borders was the biggest change, I've also added in some new content for the shopping mall. I realized that every time I ran this mission, I unfolded my giant grid map (wet-erase) and drew a few hallways. I then positioned several paper cut-out objects around the grid map for obstacles such as a water fountain or some crates to represent mall sales kiosks. I decided that for this mission update, I wanted to provide the same thing, rather than leave it entirely to the MC to figure out. The problem with making a map for a shopping mall is that it would be huge. Player's should be able to explore wherever they want to, so I've always left the mall as a more open-ended, improvisatory map. Even though malls have a lot of wide open space, characters will need to have options for cover when they battle the rampaging mall robots. I made some color map icons that MC's can print and cut out to use on a large grid map. I also included some instructions and photos detailing how I've done it and what to keep in mind. The sale kiosks were especially fun to design, as each one targets a specific alien race. For example, there is a “Buckles & Baubles” kiosk for Archaeloids, “Hydropontific! Wearable Organic Systems” for Erwani, and “Sweetasties” for the sugar-loving Chiraktis.

No comments:

Post a Comment