Thursday, December 15, 2016

Writing Character-driven Stories (part 4/4)


Writing a science fiction novel became, for me, a chance to role-play each of my characters in my own game, in a sense. I knew the larger plot, but I got to act out, through every character, how they would handle each situation and respond. Often, their responses would create new paths for my story, and these paths would assist in further developing the characters and the world in which they existed. My plot timeline was always ticking, but along the way there were a lot of side-plots, interactions, and other developments that made the story much more about the characters than the plot. This is the essence of a character-driven story. In my opinion, any plot, no matter how common and cliche it might be, can be made interesting and refreshing if it is character-driven.

No comments:

Post a Comment