Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Writing Character-driven Stories (part 3/4)


When I set out to write a science fiction novel based on the Solar Echoes universe, I had a large, fairly complex and intriguing plot in mind. But from the very beginning, my plan was for the plot to be a framework upon which to hang the characters of the story. The characters would interact and react to each other and the developments of the plot--THEY would write the story. I liken this to the process involved in any table-top role-playing game: the game master (GM) sets the narrative, but the players end up dynamically telling the story through their characters. This is why, when I run demos of Solar Echoes for different players, each game is a totally different story, even though I'm using the exact same "mission" plot each and every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment