Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Social or Antisocial Tech? (part 3)


Another way that technology has improved my social interaction is through online gaming. I'll admit, I'm not much of an online gamer because I enjoy the solitude of single player games after a long day at work talking with people. But, I do enjoy meeting with a few online friends to play a game together that we both enjoy, chatting about life while playing at the same time. I'd be surprised if some of you said you'd never secretly played a video game during a phone conversation with someone, so it's not much different talking during an online game session. People rarely choose to gather just to talk, but the excuse of a shared activity often brings out the best conversations. Amateur games of golf aren't usually about the sport as much as they are about the social experience of walking around together outside, so just like any other hobby, indoor or outdoor, online multiplayer games are a great reason to get together and socialize. Plus, they're a lot more affordable as hobbies than something like golf, they are unaffected by weather, and they require zero travel time. Online games are a perfect choice for someone like me who hates driving and being outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment