Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Social or Antisocial Tech? (part 2)


While it is certainly true that I make fewer phone calls from home than I used to, the fact that I can carry my smartphone with me and talk anywhere has actually improved my relationships with friends and family. Life is so busy these days, with work plus family to take care of at home, it becomes less and less practical to set aside time to sit down at home and pick up the phone to call and talk to a family member or a friend. They're often just as busy as I am, so finding a time to set aside to just talk can be difficult. For me, the best time to talk is during my long commutes to and from work, and I often call friends or family during these times. It's a great time to catch up, and I don't feel impatient or hurried with the conversations, because there's nothing else I can run off to do if I'm sitting in busy traffic. My relationship with parents and close friends has improved a lot over the years thanks to smartphones—I'll call and talk with them several times a week instead of letting weeks elapse before making the time to sit down for a landline conversation at home. I don't even have a landline anymore, either...do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment