Friday, February 14, 2020

How to Build a Game (part 5/5)


Game design is a very complicated process and there are so many steps along the way that it is incredibly daunting if you fully understand what you’re getting into. In some ways, it might be best to not know everything that will be involved when you begin, because otherwise, you might not even try and take that first step. Once you’ve begun and started formulating your ideas, though, you do need to start mapping out what you’re going to need, what you’ll be doing, what resources you’ll have available to you, and what your budget will be. For me, when I began working on my visual novel, I knew that I could write the story and compose the music myself. I found a program that would enable me to construct the game with minimal coding (because I lack experience in that area), and I began hunting for artists that had a style that fit with my vision of the game. I plotted out the very minimum number of art backgrounds I’d need for my game based on the story I’d imagined in my mind, and then started emailing those artists for their rates and availability. Eventually, agreements were made for certain scenes and the artwork began while I worked on the story and music compositions. Along the way, I tried my best to keep the story and the branching story paths contained within the parameters I’d set for myself, but I’ll admit, there were a few extra scenes I really wanted that I ended up commissioning from the artists in addition to the artwork I’d planned for at the beginning. Thankfully, everything has been coming together, and I recently finished the demo for The Star Legation. Now I just need to finish the other 95% of the game! My last recommendation to game designers is this: do your best to maintain your vision, and believe in it. When you believe in your work, others might, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment