Monday, September 10, 2018

Dragon Quest XI Review (part 1)


There are NO SPOILERS in this review.
It's been a while since I've written a video game review because of two reasons: 1, I don't have that much time to play video games these days and 2, there haven't been many games that have impressed me enough to write a review, though a recent exception is Ana Ribeiro's VR game, Pixel Ripped 1989. I love Pixel Ripped, and if you missed my review, you can find out why I liked it so much, here: http://solarechoesrpg.blogspot.com/2018/08/game-review-pixel-ripped-1989-vr.html
If you've been following my posts over the years, though, you'll know that I've always been on a personal quest to find an RPG that captures me like they used to, decades ago. I'm talking about the kind of RPG that I totally lose myself in, where I fall in love with the characters, play longer than I should because I'm so engaged with the story, and enjoy it all the way to very end. The truth is, I rarely encounter RPG video games like that anymore, and it's been a while since I liked something enough to solve it. I often lose interest along the way for various reasons, such as annoying load times, lack of a clear quest system so I forget where I left off, arrival at an impasse because I either didn't level up enough or just plain couldn't figure out what to do next, etc. Over a decade ago on the PS2 I played and solved Dragon Quest VIII; I loved the game, despite the FREQUENT random encounters that constantly interrupted my travels. With the recent release of Dragon Quest XI, I decided to try the series again, and wow, I think I've found another gem!



No comments:

Post a Comment