Saturday, September 15, 2018

Dragon Quest XI Review (part 6)


In RPG's, one of the big problems for me is that I can't get to them every single day. Depending on my work schedule and family, I might go for days before I can sit down and play again. Because of this, it is very important to me that an RPG have a quest system that lets me know what's next and what my goals are. DQXI does a great job at this! Every time I load up my game, there is a little summary I can read about recent events, keeping me up to date and immersing me in the story immediately before the game even starts! I can also select a party member to talk with individually, and that party member will mention our goals. Plus, when I pull up the map, there is a little text window where it gives me a short explanation about where I need to head to next. Other elements if DQXI I enjoy include amazing character and monster animation (the monsters are quite hilarious!), the ability to run, and the option to call my horse on most overland maps and ride quickly to my next destination. I only have a few minor complaints about the game—one is that each character has limited inventory space and I need to spend time sorting things once in a while, but so far, it seems my item bag and equipment bag might have unlimited space? It also would have been nice to have the option to group select items, rather than having to do one at a time, going through a couple different menu confirmations to get things where I want them. One last, minor complaint is save points—I've never liked this system and prefer a “save anywhere” feature because of the randomness of my personal lifestyle. Save points are fairly frequent and well-placed throughout DQXI, though, so I can't complain too much. Those are my only complaints, though! I haven't mentioned other aspects of the game like the fun skill system, the crafting system, Pep Powers, and much more, but suffice it to say that I felt like almost every aspect of this game far exceeded my expectations and really put DQXI among the best RPG's I've ever played!

No comments:

Post a Comment