Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Dragon Quest XI Review (part 2)


Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age is a beautiful game, and when I say that, I mean it is gorgeous to look at. The cel-shaded art style immediately places everything in an almost fairy-tale, fantasy setting. The colors are bright and bold, but the textures and lighting feel oddly realistic. Although the characters and monsters all have a cartoonish, anime-inspired feel to them, this approach only served to enhance the immersive quality of the fantasy game even further. I'll be honest, I spent a lot of time just exploring, walking inside each house, looking behind bushes and trees, and even climbing onto roofs for a better view of the village. The game rewards exploration, too—I found little items scattered about that would later help me on my journey. But visually, this game enthralled and immersed me. There was so much attention to detail, and even though some areas had no purpose at all, every last corner was rendered with care as if the artists felt their portfolios depended on it. Everything was so artistically consistent, too, that I really felt transported into another world and I readily handed over my suspension of disbelief, ready to buy myself a plot of land in this world where I could someday retire. The User Interface had a familiar style from previous games, and the items and equipment all felt like they fit nicely in the game, with fun names such as Buzzberries, Antidotal Herb, or Wakerobin. The ambiance was further defined by the sound and voice acting...


No comments:

Post a Comment