Monday, September 3, 2018

Combat in a Visual Novel (part 1)


One thing I’ve been struggling with in the development of the visual novel for Solar Echoes is combat. Although some VN’s have RPG combat systems in them, typically most combat is handled very simplistically in a narrative style through a few branching choices. When I was first dreaming up how I would design this game, I had the idea to implement some form of the Solar Echoes combat system, but as I learned more about what it would take on the programming side, I became a lot more skeptical. Then, as I played a few VN’s to familiarize myself with the genre, in addition to reading what people were saying in forums and reviews, I realized that the kind of people that play VN’s are in it for the story, not the combat. Most didn’t mind combat scenarios, as long as they didn’t disable story progression. Basically, VN gamers want their story choices to determine the outcome, not the combat gameplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment