Thursday, June 21, 2018

My VR Getaway (part 4)


The full-body avatar was realistic enough, though the developers got the scale wrong a bit and I felt like a 7 foot giant with hands and arms notably bigger than my own. I was disappointed that there weren't any mirrors in the game I could use to see myself and dance in front of. The Inpatient began with a doctor asking me questions as I sat there with my arms strapped to the chair. He seemed friendly enough, in that patronizing-pscyhologist-at-a-mental-facility sort of way. One thing that drew me into the game was the interactive response system: I could answer his questions two ways, and even though I could select my choice with my move-controllers, I also had the option to speak them. I totally loved that—it gave me a chance to role-play and act my character! Later, I was wheeled away by an orderly who seemed like a nice guy, and was eventually brought food in my room by a nurse, who told me to get some sleep. Once in a while I'd have the opportunity to interact with different objects in my room. At one point, I saw a cockroach on my table, so I picked up a nearby book and squashed it. However, I began to have odd dream-like experiences where things were...not right. I began to really dread these occurrences, because I'll be honest, they were unsettling. As I had more of these dreams over time, “reality” would get worse, too. At one point in a dream sequence, I was asked to follow the orderly, when suddenly he stopped and turned around with a horrific, distorted face growling very close to mine. I literally felt a chill sweep down my body from my head to my feet, like one of those sudden shivers you get, but 10 times worse. Suffice it to say, I began looking down at my feet while walking whenever I found myself in another twisted dream sequence!


No comments:

Post a Comment