Wednesday, June 20, 2018

My VR Getaway (part 3)


I try to keep my VR library as varied as possible so that I can try new experiences out. Unfortunately, many of the VR games available are “wave shooters,” but developers have been getting past this lately and have been putting out other experiences. One genre missing from my VR library was horror, and honestly, I procrastinated exploring this area intentionally—I'm just not a fan of cheap jump scares and ridiculously contrived “scary” games and movies. There are a few good ones out there that will unsettle you (Silent Hill, anyone?) but I wasn't looking forward to trying horror in VR. Still, I took the plunge and bought a VR game called “The Inpatient.” One of the things that intrigued me about it from reviews was that you have a full-body avatar, which I think is utterly essential for immersion in VR. Developers argue that clipping and odd body movements can pull you out of the experience, but the disembodied hand solution is even worse, in my opinion. So, I bought the Inpatient Saturday night, turned off all the lights (I was all alone at home that evening) and began the story, strapped to a chair in Blackwood Pines Sanatorium...


No comments:

Post a Comment