Friday, June 1, 2018

Digital vs. Physical (part 2/2)


There are several reasons I prefer digital books over physical books for tabletop gaming. From the perspective of a GM and author of Solar Echoes, it's easier for me to put out updates and improvements to digital products. The update notifies all customers and they can download the new version for free. I can go back and improve 5 year-old products with better art and color, add in new goodies, and make small corrections. Another benefit is that I bring digital products to the public much faster, rather than having to wait on print runs to finish and then ship it out to various locations. It's also much more cost effective of course, because printing is very expensive. Another reason I prefer digital is that I don't have to hold back with art and color, while I have to limit color variety in printed editions to keep the costs down. Plus, you benefit not only from all this, but from a lower overall cost—there is no retail mark-up and a mark-up to compensate for distribution costs is also entirely avoided. What's not to love about digital? I am looking into making digital files available to you through on-demand printing services, though, so for those of you that like books on your shelves, that may be an option for Solar Echoes products in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment