Monday, December 18, 2017

Technology and Psychology


We all know it's true: technology changes the way we live. It also changes the way we think, but how much? Often it is said that the internet has caused us to have shorter attention spans, and when watching someone surf the net, that would seem to be a reasonable conclusion. Yet what might actually be true is that we are more capable of sorting, prioritizing, and absorbing information than we've ever been before. With smart phones and almost instant internet access wherever we go, we have become much more adept at analyzing and cross-referencing. As an example, I was Christmas shopping today and my phone was out, helping me check reviews and prices of the products I saw in stores. Ultimately, over half the gifts on my list became items I decided to buy online instead because of better prices or available inventory. Technology has enabled us to make more informed decisions, even when shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment