Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Technology and Psychology (part 2)


Another way technology has changed us involves how it affects our courage. For example, I used to get worried when I had to travel frequently outside my home state. I often had to travel to places I'd never been, and with just a paper map and some instructions scribbled or printed on paper, I'd set out to places far from "civilization," meaning areas where I didn't see street lights, gas stations, or any population at all. Instead, there were endless expanses of open land, long, empty roads, and not a single car passing me for miles. Honestly, sometimes I was a little worried: what if my car breaks down or I run out of gas? Yet these days, if we have our smart phone with us and a good GPS app, we're quite willing to just drive off somewhere and go exploring. Help is only a phone call away, and we can always tell our GPS to take us home when we admit we've gotten a little lost! Also, we're letting our children go places alone a lot more freely, because it's easier to contact them with smartphones. For the really paranoid parents (or those of conniving teens!) there's always a smartphone GPS tracker to keep an eye on your kid's location at all times!

No comments:

Post a Comment