Friday, June 12, 2015

Virtual Reality—Is it going to last? (part 5)


Other features are touted as reasons to get a VR headset, including high resolution, more motion-related interactivity (do we really want to try that again?), and immersion. I can definitely see VR headsets finding a market as medical technology, for military training, or even for remote viewing through external devices (for example, drones.) Yet VR just doesn't quite convince me that it's going to revolutionize the entertainment industry. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to try it--I'm definitely going to pre-order a Sony Morpheus when pre-orders open up. But to Sony, and everyone else developing VR headsets, I want to say this: Please, please aggressively support the new hardware with tons of applications and software! If things go the same way as the Move and Kinect (where it seemed like they were depending on the technology to sell itself) well, there just isn't going to be enough reason to have one around in a year or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment