Monday, June 1, 2015

Not a Hack and Slash Game (part 1)


I was recently talking with a friend about his RPG gaming group, and he was complaining about how his group rebelled against every game premise and seemed intent on showing “how awesome” they are by killing everything. Not every RPG group behaves this way, of course, but some people just want to blow everything up and create as much mayhem and destruction as they can. Though I can't say that such players wouldn't do the same thing in Solar Echoes (my friend insists his group would), I will say that in several years of running games with countless new groups of players, I have never seen things degenerate to that point. I think there are several factors in the design of Solar Echoes that, even though they might not prevent the hack and slash approach, do at least discourage it...

No comments:

Post a Comment