Monday, December 30, 2019

Star Legation Update (part 4)


The alien jungle sounds were almost enough by themselves, but I decided that there also needed to be some nice background music emerging at one point during the characters’ walk through the jungle. Composing this piece took longer than I anticipated, because I couldn’t quite capture the right feel of the situation. At least, not at first. After three false starts on compositions that just didn’t quite fit the right mood, I was finally able to design a theme that felt fitting. The next step was to find the right instrumentation, and that proved challenging as well. I thought about the kind of instruments that seemed fitting for a forest, and although my initial inclination was towards strings, I decided on more of an ethereal “winds” sound, with purer tones. I had struggled to write this composition at first because I thought a major key would best fit the beautiful environment, but this wasn’t going to work if I wanted the audience to feel the growing uncertainty and dread of the protagonist as he walked deeper into the alien forest. A minor key felt too dark, however, considering the beautiful colors of Aeghite’s artwork. In the end, I decided to write the composition in a mode, which felt just right for the occasion.



No comments:

Post a Comment