Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Composing for a Visual Novel (part 2)


Up until this year, most of what I've composed has been for solo guitar. Once I began writing the Star Legation visual novel, I realized how many of my existing guitar compositions would be a good fit for a sci-fi atmosphere. I tend to prefer somewhat eerie, minor pieces of music and my compositions actually matched a number of scenes really well. The only concern I had was the instrumentation. Solo guitar didn't exactly fit for the kind of atmosphere I wanted to set, so I looked into getting a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW.) I tried out a lot of different DAW's, but finally settled on one I liked that enabled me to port in my .midi compositions directly. Once I had the composition imported, I began playing around with instrumentation, using a lot of synthesized sound to produce the sci-fi feel I was looking for. As I became comfortable with the process, I also began to write more compositions to import, specifically for the game...

No comments:

Post a Comment