Wednesday, November 27, 2019

RPG's and Visual Novels on the PSVita (3/5)


Despite being able to pick up right where you left off with the PSVita's standby mode, there is a problem that emerges from this situation--you may not be able to get back to it for a while, and thus forget where you left off. In my situation, sometimes I fall asleep while playing in bed, and can't remember what happened the night before as I tried to fight off my sleep. Although these are problems with console games as well, the randomness of portable gaming tends to worsen this situation a bit more often for me. Some games I've played (such as RPG's) provide no information about what I should do next, so I then end up wasting the moments I have with my PSVita searching around trying to figure out where I was and what I was doing, only to have to put it down again because of other distractions and demands. Without an objective tracker of some sort in a game, playing some games on the PSVita can feel like an exercise in Attention Deficit Disorder. I'm always very thankful when game developers design their games with quest logs and map goals, so that when I'm able to pick up where I left off again, I know what my previous objectives were. Thankfully, a lot of game developers anticipate this and even have catch-up summaries provided whenever you load a game, which is a huge plus in visual novels and RPG's!

No comments:

Post a Comment