Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Video Game Review: Fallout 76 (part 3)


Some of you are probably saying, “Wait, isn't this a multiplayer game?” Yes, it is, and it is the first online multiplayer game in the Fallout series. I have the option to join up with friends and explore together, or I can go it alone. I can pull up a map and see a white dot representing where another player is, but I can choose to avoid encounters with them if I'm feeling introverted. Sometimes I'll be surprised to see another player, and I really like the trepidation that is attached to that first meeting—will they be friend, or foe? Everyone has their own agenda, and sometimes, you don't fit into it. Other times, a player will walk up to you and make a request to trade. You can set a price or trade items you think fairly compensate for the exchange. One time, I met two players and one made a trade request. He offered me something I didn't really want or need, so I made an offer back with something I didn't want, with a price attached. He apparently felt this was an unfair deal or that I should be grateful for what he was offering me, so he canceled the trade and started attacking me. So did his friend. In other Massive Multiplayer Online games (MMO's), Player vs. Player (PvP) is a big part of the game, but it can also really spoil the game for solo players like me, which is why I usually stay away from MMO's. Bethesda has a brilliant design for handling “griefers” in the game, which are players who enjoy bullying and killing other players...


No comments:

Post a Comment