Friday, December 28, 2018

Superheroes: Are you a fan? (part 2)


I had a discussion with a friend about superheroes recently, and I found myself explaining why I don't like powers in the superhero genre. To me, the heroes have a huge advantage with their superpower, and the writers always have to create a villain with a different superpower so that the hero has a challenge. Otherwise, what would the hero do with his power if he didn't have anyone to oppose him? Everyone else is just caught in the middle, and are helpless without the superhero fighting for them. This is a very old formula for story-telling, if you consider Greek mythology. In my opinion, superheroes and supervillains are just modern-day Greek gods fighting it out while humanity cheers on the good guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment