Monday, December 1, 2014

Space Opera and Science-Fiction (part 1)


I had an interesting discussion this weekend with a friend after we watched the new Star Wars trailer. Cheesy and impractical light-saber hand-guards aside, we talked about how Star Wars falls squarely in the “Space Opera” genre. Then I asked my friend if Solar Echoes should be considered a space opera, and I wondered what defined the genre and set it apart from “hard sci-fi.” I had thought that Solar Echoes was kind of a mix of the two, but it turns out, it really does fall into the genre. I had mistakenly believed that one of the main factors that qualified Star Wars as a space opera was the presence of the magical ability known as “the force.” I thought that space operas involved fantasy elements, so whether we label the force as psychic powers or as something derived from intelligent, microscopic midichlorians that live in our cells, to me it all seemed to be fantasy and not science fiction. It turns out that fantasy elements are not the defining element of a space opera at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment