Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Impressions of Destiny (part 3)


After I finished designing my character, a narrative began explaining the story of the game. The opening was definitely intriguing. Most of the earth is now unsafe, with one last city watched over by a giant, hovering globe known as “The Traveler.” After the opening, the story shifted to a barren area filled with the frames of rusted cars while a floating, mechanical eye-ball device scanned each one meticulously. In the distance, strange armored humanoids with several eyes and odd helmets seemed to take notice of the floating device, and gave a battle cry as they grabbed their weapons to pursue it. At that moment, the story shifts to your perspective and your character wakes up, discovered by the eye which informs you that you've been dead for a long time and says most of what you see won't make sense to you. He then urges you to hurry, because “this is Fallen territory,” and you begin to run to an indoor area where you grab your first weapon, a rifle.

At that point, the game begins in earnest and you must get through the building to find a starship so you can fly to the city. All you have to do is survive the Fallen that hunt you long enough to reach the old starship. I could detail the story further, but suffice it to say that as far as openings go, I felt it was a solid start to a strong setting. As I played through the game, there were missions where I'd have to go back out into “Old Russia,” to find things that would advance the game further (a warp drive for my starship so I could eventually go to other planets, for instance.) On the way, I'd discover interesting bits of information that unveiled more about the history of earth and what happened. Though the story didn't get too far past the first 3 or 4 missions, it definitely has me interested and hoping that this MMORPG, unlike many of the others I've attempted, will have a story that keeps me playing and coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment