Friday, April 18, 2014

The Influence of Anime on Solar Echoes (part 5)


Bodacious Space Pirates is not exactly an anime title you'd want to brag about watching (regarding the poor title), considering I still get odd looks when mentioning “Cowboy Bebop” to non-otaku. Despite the odd name, though, Bodacious Space Pirates was probably the most realistic space-anime I've seen to date, regarding the extreme attention to details. Though I've read reviews where people actually complained about this, I was actually incredibly immersed in the show because of the realism—the feeling of being out in the expanse of space hunted by an enemy ship that is beyond radar range, the creeping dread of electronic warfare as a rival ship's hacker attempted to blind and disable the ship, and the fear of misjudging just how much thrust is needed to propel a starship properly into docking position. I loved it, and though I saw this anime after Solar Echoes had already released, I was happy when I realized that we had managed to incorporate some of the same elements into our game. Ultimately, during the design phase of Solar Echoes, we often referred to sci-fi or action anime, TV shows, and movies that we liked and said, “That's awesome, let's make sure we can do that in the game!”

No comments:

Post a Comment